Portions courtesy of Aurora University athletics communications
CHICAGO, Ill. --- The Aurora University women's volleyball team made history Friday night with a 3-0 (25-23, 25-19, 25-17) sweep of Trinity University (Texas) in an NCAA Division III Women's Volleyball Championship first-round match at the Ratner Athletic Center on the campus of the University of Chicago.
The victory was a program first - and the first by a representative of the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference - in the NCAA Division III Women's Volleyball Championship. The Spartans (24-8) advance to face the top-seeded and host Maroons (29-4) at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Ratner Center.
FINAL SCORE: #5 Aurora University 3, #4 Trinity University, Texas 0 (25-23, 25-19, 25-17)
LOCATION: Ratner Athletic Center - Chicago, Illinois
RECORDS: Aurora University 24-8 overall; Trinity University, Texas 25-7 overall
BOX SCORE: View Here
GAME TIME: 1:18
HOW IT HAPPENED -
- The Spartans took a lead in the first set and when Trinity called timeout, AU led 17-14.
- After the timeout, Trinity came back to lead 19-17 and later 23-21.
- The Spartans though persevered to score the final four points and win 25-23.
- The second set was a tightly played back and forth contest until the Spartans started to pull away. AU grabbed a 17-16 lead and pulled away to win 25-19.
- Karli Chambers had seven kills in the second set win.
- The third set saw AU trail once at 3-2 and then pull away from Trinity.
- Katie Vondra had seven kills as the Spartans won easily 25-17.
- AU won the match 3-0.
SPARTAN LEADERS –
KILLS: Karli Chambers (16), Katie Vondra (14) and Imani Freeman (12)
ASSISTS: Emily Lines (46)
ACES: Katie Vondra, Julia Wood and Imani Freeman (2)
DIGS: Julia Wood (18)
BLOCKS: Samantha Weising (3)