Myers Buzzer Beater Sends Spartans To NCAA Second Round

Myers Buzzer Beater Sends Spartans To NCAA Second Round

Courtesy of Aurora University

ST. LOUIS -- The 2018 NCAA Division III Tournament First Round on Friday, March 2 at Washington University, St. Louis was the site for a game Aurora University will be talking about for decades to come. The Spartans were victorious over the No. 4 ranked Washington Bears 82-80 behind a buzzer-beating shot from AU senior guard Marcus Myers.

FINAL SCORE:  Aurora University 82, Washington University, St. Louis 80
LOCATION: St. Louis, Missouri
RECORDS: Aurora University 20-8; Washington University, St. Louis 22-4
BOXSCORE - View here

- The Spartans got off to a slow start and trailed WashU 8-0 just over three minutes into the game,
- As turnovers and missed shots mounted for AU, the host Bears grabbed a 10-point lead (18-8) with 12:49 to play in the first.
- AU answered with a 12-0 run fueled by four points from Matt Dunn, a pair of three's and when Marcus Myers hit a fast break lay-up, the Spartans led for the first time 20-18.
- The game was later tied 27-27 with 8:13 on the first-half clock.
- In the final eight minutes, the host Bears grabbed the lead but could never distance themselves from the Spartans. AU would trail the highly ranked Bears 43-39 heading into halftime.
- The second-half proved to be a battle for the entire 20 minutes.
- Spartan guards Marcus Myers and Matt Dunn got to the rack for layups. When AU's Ty Carlson hit a jumper in the paint with 13:20 to play, AU led 55-51.
- As expected the hosts answered and did so with a 10-0 run and led 61-55 forcing an AU timeout with 10:30 left in the game.
- The Spartans tried chipping away but WashU maintained a lead and with 4:47 to go, AU trailed 69-63.
- On the next two possessions, the three ball went in AU's favor as freshman Garrett Hoffman and Ty Carlson knocked down treys and the game was knotted at 69 all with 3:33.
- Over the next just 2:44 both teams made runs and with 49 seconds left, the game was tied 77-77 with a WashU timeout.
- Spartan Marcus Myers hit three of four free throws on the next two AU possessions around a missed shot from WashU, giving AU an 80-77 lead with 14 seconds left in the game.
- Coming out of a timeout, WashU missed a three to tie the game but when Ty Carlson came down with the rebound, he was tied up forcing a jump ball which went in the Bears favor.
- Following another timeout, WashU guard Matt Nester hit a three to tie the game 80-80 with two seconds on the clock and set up the shot that shocked Division III.
- On the ensuing inbounds play, Max Vickers made a 3/4 court pass to Marcus Myers who caught and shot what would be the game-winner.
- Watch below to see the final sequence of WashU tying the game before Myers drained the buzzer beater.

Matt Dunn had a game-high 23 points on 11-of-17 shooting from the field with seven rebounds and four assists.
Marcus Myers stole the show with his buzzer beater. He finished with 22 points, nine rebounds and five assists.
Ty Carlson had 18 points on four-of-six shooting from three-point range
Max Vickers had seven points, 11 rebounds and two assists including the assist on the game-winner.

- Andrew Sanders had 21 points and eight rebounds.
- Matt Nester had 15 points with three coming to tie the game.
POINTS: Matt Dunn (23), Marcus Myers (22) and Ty Carlson (18)
REBOUNDS: Max Vickers (11) and Marcus Myers (9)
ASSISTS: Marcus Myers (5) and Matt Dunn (4) 
STEALS: Matt Dunn (2)
Next action for the Spartan men's basketball team comes in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Division III Championship Tournament. AU will take on Nebraska Wesleyan University at Washington University, St. Louis. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. in St. Louis, Missouri.