Release courtesy of Aurora University athletic communications
PITTSBURGH, Pa. --- The Aurora University women's volleyball team's historic run finished in the NCAA Division III Championship quarterfinals in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Thursday as the Spartans lost to Calvin 3-1 (23-25, 22-25, 25-21, 21-25).
FINAL SCORE: #1 Calvin College 3, #8 Aurora University 1 (23-25, 22-25, 25-21, 21-25)
LOCATION: A.J. Palumbo Center - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
RECORDS: Aurora University 26-9 overall; Calvin College 32-3 overall
BOX SCORE: View Here
GAME TIME: 1:55
BEYOND THE BOX -
HOW IT HAPPENED -
- The Spartans scored the first point and led 17-10 in the first set.
- AU continued to lead 22-20 as the battle with the Knights continued.
- Calvin would score the final two points to win the first set 25-23.
- In the second set, AU fell behind 9-4 but battled back and went on to lead 17-13.
- The two teams continued to play tremendous volleyball as the score was 22-22.
- Calvin scored the last three points to take a 2-0 match lead.
- AU came out clicking in the third set, taking an 8-3 lead and forcing a Calvin timeout.
- The Spartans maintained their lead and won the third set 25-21.
- AU fell behind in the fourth set 7-2 and the Spartans called a timeout.
- The Spartans worked their way back and got within one at 20-19 and making Calvin call time.
- The Knights out scored AU 5-2 down the stretch and won the final set 25-21 and the match 3-1.
SPARTAN LEADERS –
KILLS: Katie Vondra (20) and Imani Freeman (16)
ASSISTS: Emily Lines (42) and Julia Wood (9)
ACES: Emily Lines (2)
DIGS: Julia Wood (21), Katie Vondra (17), Emily Lines (13) and Nikki Lofshult (10)
BLOCKS: Samantha Weising (4) and Lindsey Simpson (3)
The Aurora University women's volleyball team finishes the 2018 season with a 26-9 overall, NCAA Division III Chicago regional champions and Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference regular season and tournament champions.