Courtesy of Benedictine University
WHITEWATER, Wis. -- The Benedictine University softball season came to an end on Sunday afternoon with a 5-1 loss against Trine University in the NCAA DIII Softball Regional in Whitewater, Wisconsin.
Benedictine 1, Trine 5
FROM THE PLAYERS
"It's hard to explain it all," said senior Angie Malsack. "This experience has been amazing. This team is by far the best that I have ever played on. I'm still kind of in shock that it's over but it has been a privilege to play with these girls and with Kate. I just wish it wasn't over."
• Both teams headed into the game with one loss under their belt in the tournament, with the Eagles dropping a 6-5 loss against host UW Whitewater on Saturday
• Both Trine and Benedictine were scoreless after three innings
• Trine was first to score, in the fourth, with two runs off of two hits and one BenU error
• A home run in the fifth put Trine up 4-0
• The Eagles responded in the sixth after an Angie Malsack home run to center field to put the Eagles on the board
• That would be the only run for Benedictine as Trine would tally one more run in the sixth for the 5-1 victory over BenU
Malsack: 2-3, 1 run, 1 RBI
Courtney Grasz: 1-3
Jenna Boyajian: 1-3
Kaitlyn Velazquez: 1-3
Becky Karlinski (23-9): 7 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 strikeout, 6.0 innings pitched
FROM THE COACH
"I don't know if I've ever been part of a more special team," said head coach Kate Heidkamp. "Sure we've had a lot of talent in the past but this veteran leadership on this team has what has got us where we are. I am very proud of them."
The Eagles finish the season with a 30-15 overall record and their seventh appearance in the NCAA Regional in the last eight years.