Courtesy of Concordia University Wisconsin
MEQUON, Wis. -- MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team won a share of the NACC Regular Season Title and also secured the No. 1 seed in the upcoming league tournament with a pair of 9-0 wins Saturday. The Falcons defeated both Wisconsin Lutheran and Aurora and finished the regular season tied atop the league standings with Edgewood and MSOE.
- Final Scores: CUW 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; CUW 9, Aurora 0
- Location: CUW Tennis Courts (vs. WLC) and Pleasant Valley Tennis Center (Aurora)
- Records: CUW 18-6, 7-1 NACC; WLC 2-17, 2-5 NACC; Aurora 7-6, 5-3 NACC
CUW 9, WISCONSIN LUTHERAN 0
- The Falcons began the day outdoors at the CUW Tennis Courts where they rolled to a 9-0 win over Wisconsin Lutheran. CUW began the day with three wins in doubles play, including an 8-0 decision at No. 2 doubles from the duo of Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) and Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.).
- The No. 1 duo of James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) and Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) gained an 8-1 decision in their match while the No. 3 team of Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) and Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) rounded out the doubles lineup with an 8-3 win.
- In singles play the Falcons posted six straight-set wins to complete the 9-0 morning. Guendel rolled at No. 4 singles, netting a 6-0, 6-0 win. Binversie also had little trouble in his No. 5 singles matchup, a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
- Nathan Raskin (Shorewood, Wis.) posted a 6-1, 6-0 win in his No. 6 singles match while Docter posted an identical score at the No. 3 position. Forster gained a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 1 singles and Schaffner added a 7-5, 6-3 decision at the No. 2 spot.
CUW 9, AURORA 0
- The Falcons moved indoors for the afternoon match and again cruised to a 9-0 win. Docter and Schaffner completed a perfect day in No. 2 doubles, again winning 8-0. Forster and Guendel added an 8-2 win at the No. 1 doubles match while Binversie and Budewitz posted an 8-4 victory.
- In singles play, the Falcons won four of six in straight sets while the other two matchups needed a third-set tiebreaker. Forster started the Falcons out with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles while Guendel moved to the No. 5 spot in the afternoon and continued to impress with a 6-1, 6-2 victory.
- Docter and Schaffner switched places in the afternoon with Docter playing at No. 2 singles. He picked up a 6-3, 6-2 win. Schaffer adjusted well to the move at No. 3 singles as well, netting a 7-5, 6-2 win.
- The two-three set tiebreak matchups came at No. 4 and No. 6 singles. Binversie dropped his first set in his No. 4 singles bout but was able to rally for a win, 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-0). Raskin also dropped his first set before picking up his No. 6 singles victory, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1, 1-0 (10-7).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- In addition to winning a share of the NACC Regular Season Title, the Falcons tied the program record for wins in a season with 18.
- CUW won the No. 1 seed by virtue of a three-way tie with Edgewood and MSOE. The tiebreaker came down to points won between the three teams this season where CUW was 11-7 in those two matches, a 7-2 win over Edgewood and a 5-4 setback against MSOE. Edgewood defeated MSOE 5-4 earlier this season.
- The Falcons will play next Sunday in the NACC Tournament semifinals at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison. CUW will take on the lowest remaining seed, either No. 4 Aurora, No. 5 Dominican, or No. 6 Wisconsin Lutheran. The finals will also take place next Sunday in Madison.